Thursday, January 29, 2009

Worms, Worms, Worms

Last summer I decided it was time to start walking-the-walk and not just talking-the-talk. Here I am, mom to three precious children, and I need to do something about preserving this earth for them and for the grandchildren I'll hopefully have someday. So, I started being even more vigilant about recycling, step one. I switched all our cleaning products to non-toxic, natural, biodegradable products, step two. I learned about putting food waste into our "green can" so that it could be composted by the city, step three. Then I heard about worm composting. It seemed so easy and so cool. You buy a box, fill it with worms and food scraps and three months later you have compost for your garden. I immediately told Jason and I wanted one for our anniversary in September. He didn't think a worm composter was a suitable 13th anniversary present. So, I asked for one for Christmas.
Finally, for Christmas, he and the kids bought me my very own Can-O-Worms. Unfortunately it didn't come with any worms so I wasn't able to set it up right away. In the weeks between receiving my composter and finally getting my worms I would look at foods we put in our green can and think "my worms would love that". Friday night it happened, I got my worms. The kids and I braved the wet skys and set up the composter on the back patio. Every night when I get home from work and every morning when I wake up, I have to go check on them and see how they are doing. We've had a few escape but the rest seem to be doing well. Yesterday morning I moved them into the garage because I was worried they were cold on the patio. Today I think I'm going to move them again, into the outside room. I think the garage is too cold for them also.
I can't wait to have the compost for the vegetable garden in the spring. It is a great example of the circle of life. Turn your veggies into compost turn your compost into veggies. I think it is a great learning experience for the children as well.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! Did you know your grandmother would dump the coffee grounds in the same spot in the garden every day? They seemed to draw the earthworms that I needed to go fishing (Sorry about that).
    Now, you need to get Jason (with his woodworking skills) to build you a bat house.

    ReplyDelete