Saturday, October 18, 2008

Spring Hill Jersey Cheese Farm & Peter Pumpkin Patch

I'm so disappointed I forgot my camera yesterday. I could have taken some great pictures to post on here... Patti took some pics for me. When she emails me I'll post them.

I was lucky enough to take Friday afternoon off of work and accompany Emma Jo on a Girl Scout Field Trip to the Spring Hill Jersey Cheese Farm & Peter Pumpkin Patch in Petaluma. There were 13 girls, 6 parents and 2 siblings. We drove out into the middle of nowhere, past the dump, past Two Rock, seemed like almost to the coast, and finally arrived at the farm. There we got to taste fresh cheese curds, milk a cow, take a hayride, dig for potatoes, pick pumpkins and have fresh ice cream. The girls also climbed a haystack pyramid and navigated a hay maze.

Emma Jo said her favorite part was picking pumpkins. She and Danielle walked clear across the patch almost as far as you could see to find the perfect jack-o-lantern shape. Then she had to carry it all the way back, but she didn't complain at all. She was so proud of her perfect pumpkin.

The girls had mixed reactions to milking Jessie, the cow. Some were hesitant to kneel underneath her and pull on the teats. Others thought it was a great adventure. One girl got in line a 2nd time she liked it so much. Another shrieked when she didn't have good aim and splashed her foot.

I liked digging for potatoes and eating the fresh ice cream. There was a patch with all different types of potatoes. We were given fork spades to dig and unearth our potatoes. They weren't very deep and it was like a winter Easter Egg hunt, only more dirty. After we worked up a sweat we got free little cups of ice cream. Friday's offerings were Pumpkin or Vanilla. I chose Vanilla and it was super smooth and creamy.

I would definitely consider going out there again with the whole family. I would highly recommend it as a field trip for young children.

No comments:

Post a Comment